Back to the index page  
Making your own ambiences to use with Sound Borb

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Making your own ambiences to use with Sound Borb Reply with quote
Assuming you know how to record something on your computer, making your own Sound Borb ambiences is relatively simple to do, and if you want, I'll host them here for others to download.

To start with, since Sound Borb works with .ogg audio files (they're a lot like MP3s, only better) you'll need a way to make .ogg files. I like Oggdrop. Once you've made some .ogg files, you should take a look at the existing ambiences to see how they're set up. For instance, if you look in the Sound Borb directory, you'll see an "audio" directory. In that, you should be able to find the Ocean ambience directory, where you'll find all of the relevant .ogg files.

The locations of these .ogg files, and how Sound Borb should use them, is stored in data/ocean.dat. .dat files store two things. One is the 200x106 image that is displayed in Sound Borb when the ambience is playing, and the other is the location of the .ogg files for this ambience, and how they should be used. Each .ogg file can have a handful of different parameters. If intensity is set to true, the volume level of that sound will be controlled by the intensity slider. The same goes for happiness, only happiness can be either sad or happy (neutral = not affected by the happiness slider). For more information about intensity / happiness, look here. Sounds can also be played at random intervals, controlled by Sound Borb, or they can loop continuously. To learn more about building borbs, take a look at the .dat files from the existing borbs available for download on the download page.

Lastly, the data/descriptor.lst file describes each of the ambiences that you have installed.

If you want to distribute your ambient creation, all you have to do is package it up with AmbienceInstaller.exe, which is included with all of the existing ambiences listed on the download page, and include a file named borbinst.info. borbinst.info is a text file that should have three lines in it...the name of the borb, the name of the .dat file, and the name of the image file (no paths). So, for a borb named "Wasteland", the borbinst.info file contains these lines:

Code:

Wasteland
wasteland.dat
wasteland.jpg

That's it!

Last edited by tgersic on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shadowtech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How exactly does one use that AmbienceInstaller to package a sound borb? Whenever I run it, it just wants me to install the borb that came with it.
jobro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to edit the borblist file that comes with the installer.

Here is my take on borbs:

Since you have neutral, sad and happy sounds you have 6 ways to control the sounds:

Neutral not controlled by intensity
Neutral controlled by intensity
Sad not controlled by intensity
Sad controlled by intensity
Happy not controlled by intensity
Happy controlled by intensity

This gives you six ways to name each file so you easier can understand how they should be tagged in the dat file.

Ntl for neutral
Sad for sad
Hpy for happy

Int for intensity
Rnd for random
Lp for looped

So if I have for instance a skidding car accident that I want to be a sad sound controlled by intensity and at a random event played then I'd name it this way:

Sad-Int-Rnd-Carcrash.ogg

That way you could hand the sound to anyone who could then instantly set up the parameters from just reading the name.
Shadowtech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had already figured it out shortly after I posted that, but thanks for the tips/info anyhow--I'm sure it could be helpful to others as well.
tgersic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, sorry about that. I must've left out that bit of information...I just added a little bit to the description up above, but thanks for clarifying things, Jobro. I suppose I really should write better documentation...

So, when is Borbifier being released? Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sound Borb Forum Index » Sound Borb Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: